Confessions of a Sensitive Man Headline Animator

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Cried on National TV

That's right. Strange trivia about me. It was neither the news catching me crying nor being caught on American Idol live sobbing over the angelic voice of a teen sensation (tone-deaf or otherwise).

Back in college, I experienced something quite traumatic. One of my good friends from college was killed protecting her father from an assassination attempt. This all occurred a few hours after I had brunch with her - so I basically had last contact. We were close through the debate team. A few years after her death, I was asked to present an award of some sort in her name during a nationally televised debate tournament. The presentation featured a video of her and a speech about her life. Granted the little spiel I had to recite on TV was written by someone else and, thus, easy to follow like a script, I couldn't help but breakdown into tears after the video presentation was over. I could barely speak.

Intense. It reminds me about how much of a whirlwind my life has been the past few years.

No comments: