Confessions of a Sensitive Man Headline Animator

Monday, May 26, 2008

Long Distance Ritual: Memorial Day Special

This week's long distance ritual falls on a very peaceful and relaxing Memorial Day weekend. Instead of surrendering to expensive gas prices, or packing a bag and sifting through presumably crowded airports, I decided to stay home this weekend, watching movies and doing yoga. A very simple dish was at hand tonight, and I'm sure that my girlfriend, living halfway across the world, will have no trouble replicating it (actually, the chances of her improving upon this recipe with her own ideas and ingredients are quite high). Boiling some broccoli and sauteeing mushrooms and garlic in olive oil became the Monday night special. I threw everything together with angel hair pasta, lemon pepper and chili flakes. Light and healthy.


The other day, my girlfriend sent me a link of foods that are categorized by whether such foods produce alkaline or acid. According to this list, one's diet should consist of a proper balance of alkaline producing and acid producing foods, with a higher proportion of alkaline producing foods compared to its not so healthy counterparts. Well, it seems that lemons top the list of high alkaline producing foods, so I decided to change up my beverage variety and enjoy some delicious lemonade.
Apparently, fruits are also high alkaline producing. Grapes are a good source. I bought myself a bunch and vowed not to eat chocolate or other sweets until I finish the grapes.

In a month of taking huge steps to become healthier, my diet is becoming a perfect complement to my now addicting yoga practice and other health-related activities that are now a part of my life. Thanks to the inspiration of a woman who wants only the best in life for herself and for me, I have found my little groove in 2008.

Of course, every once in a while, random saturday mornings in particular, a plate of fantastic jasmine rice with fried egg, and corned beef with chili flakes and onions all mixed into one man's meal becomes quite the treat and reward after a long week of work and working out. I know. I know. Not the way to end a post that seemed immaculately green.

No comments: