Confessions of a Sensitive Man Headline Animator

Thursday, November 23, 2006

5 Items for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving can be somewhat of a confusing holiday. People simply don't know what to do or figure out the holiday's purpose. Many people find those questions irrelevant since society has reduced the social celebration into an annual vacation with a buddy or two. Many find this end of November event to be a family affair, serving as a precursor to the Christmas season. To others, it is the opportunity to line up outside Wal-Mart before 5 in the morning with the hope of beating others to that very limited supply of 42 inch digital flatscreen TVs, originally priced at $1,677, and now, thanks to Turkey Day, at a mere $989.

I thought about lining up for the Wal-Mart spree. I backed out because I wasn't in shape thanks to my newly discovered herniated disc (I hear that yearly, a significant percentage of people arrested right around the end of November, and charged with assault and battery are Wal-Mart customers engaging in this sale madness). Plus, I can't deal with the stress of having Wal-Mart staff hide the TVs in some other random department before the doors open (i.e. placing the TVs next to the lawn equipment).

Because I'm not from this country, I would not dare preach about the meaning of Thanksgiving. I would like however, to make a suggestion for those people who may be looking for a more meaningful holiday.

Simply write down 5 things you are thankful for. You don't have to say it or do anything about it. Just write it. Writing can be a form or manifestation of one of the everyday things people have most difficulty in achieving...self-admission - putting pride and self-centeredness in the backseat just to appreciate what is in front of you.

Here's my list:

1. The lives of the strangers who saved me (and of course, being alive).
2. My caring sacrificing family.
3. Passing the Bar examinations and being a lawyer.
4. Being able to play the piano.
5. My inboxes.

Happy Turkey Day. Oh, and yes, I'm buying that flatscreen TV, but at the regular price with financing.

No comments: