Confessions of a Sensitive Man Headline Animator

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Blogging from the Apple Store and Saving Someone's Life

So my Ipod crashed on me today. All my songs are gone and I'm upset. It's a good thing that all my music is on my computer. To think, I was so excited too this morning because the Brand New Heavies came out with a new album and they had reunited with their star singer N'Dea Davenport. The album is awesome. It's no Brother Sister, but it's definitely worth looking at. In any case, I'm here at the Apple store on 59 st. and 5th Ave. and it is RIDICULOUS.

The store is underground located right at the lawn of the General Motors Building. The entrance is this louvre-like glass structure protruding from the ground with a huge white apple icon hanging in the middle for all to see. A spiral staircase (translucent as you might have guessed) leads down into this basement full of Apple products waiting to be purchased and samples of products being abused by the freeloader consumer public (i.e. me right now blogging on a Mac mini). The genius bar line is quite long. I think 20 people are staffed at the moment behind the genius bar, 6 of which are around to fix the Ipods of New York. It's around 6:10 PM and my appointment is at 7.

The real story though was getting here. I was visiting a close friend, a med student living in Murray Hill, and decided to take a cab to the Apple Store from NYU medical center after checking out her new apartment. When I entered the cab, I noticed a folder in the backseat. It was a typical letter sized folder with a mix of documents of different sizes and colors. . . uhr, at least that's what I had observed from the open side of the folder.

I told the cab driver that his previous passenger had left a crapload of important documents in his backseat and the driver flipped. He got the folder, and while driving 45 MPH through rush hour traffic along First Ave., he tried looking for a phone number. He literally had the passenger's birth certificate a millimeter away from his nose. . . and that's when I told him I could help him (especially since I was pretty sure that current phone numbers aren't normally found on your birth certificate).

The passenger was applying for a social security card. All her credit cards were in the folder and her parents' info including SS numbers were written all over the place. I found her phone number and decided to call her.

She flipped. She was screaming like a 90's murder-horror-screamer victim. She couldn't believe how "stupid" she was. Of course I calmed her down and told her that I would take care of the documents until she could get them from me. She basically said that I saved her life, and well, that's an ok thing to hear after a long day.

That's it for now. I think I will check out some more Apple products I will never buy in this lifetime. Check out the new Brand New Heavies Album. It's on Itunes.

No comments: