Confessions of a Sensitive Man Headline Animator

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Three Episodes

1. The I Hate Myself Episode: The other week, my friends treated me out to dinner for my birthday at this funky Japanese restaurant for some sushi in midtown. Upon entering the restaurant, there was a vestibule with two antique chairs (presumably for waiting), and flanked by glass doors leading into the actual dining area. My friends were, as expected, pretty late and I was sitting down on one of the wooden "thrones" facing the outside. After a few more minutes, two of my friends showed up but were waiting for everyone else before being seated because Times Square customs dictate that you may not be seated unless your entire party is present.

While we were waiting, a young woman in office clothes and with a company ID walked into the vestibule presumably to make a reservation with the restaurant. She was a small lady and appeared to have deformities on her hands. More specifically, she had shrunk hands and barely any fingers.

Then, I (the idiot, as you will see) placed myself in a dilemma that I figured would be a lose-lose situation. And of course, knowing my luck with self-fulfilling prophecies, it ended up as being a huge loss.

The lady tried opening the door leading into the dining area where the reception was located, but couldn't because her hands were too small to pull the thick gold handle. In what some would consider to be a vile inhumane move, I did not immediately come to her aid. Let me explain first. The last few times this exact same scenario had occurred resulted in unilateral screaming episodes and reprimand because I had offended them. I realized that some people didn't want to be helped. So each time it happens again, I freeze out of fear and I don't know if I'm going to be offending anyone. Lose lose. If I help, I'm insensitive. If I don't help, I'm just not human.

After a few unsuccessful attempts by the lady to open the door, my friend asked me to open the door for the lady...and I did. The awkwardness from not doing it right away loomed over the vestibule like the defining scene of an antagonist's character in a movie where there are no real villains, just humans with or without errors. I was full of errors that day. Happy birthday to the sensitive man...the overly sensitive man that thinks too much. At least now I've made my resolution. It was just such a sad moment for me and I can't help but feel idiotic.

I think I'll just keep on helping anyone at anytime, because that's just natural of me to do so. After all, I'm known to always open doors for just about anyone. What would I care if they thought I was offending them? Err on the side of objective consideration I say.

2. The Not Thinking Before Talking Episode: My friend bartends at this hip Japanese fusion place in the upper east side. She does shifts on Sundays and asked me to keep her company last Sunday.

Let's fast forward to the next morning. In a nutshell, I was sick of alcohol and my bathroom was not spared from the evidence.

Moral of the story: If you have a friend that bartends, and she asks you what you want to drink, never answer with, "Just give me whatever you want me to have. You can practice your mixing on me."

3. The Real Independence Episode: I bought myself my first car ever. Will post a pic soon. 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I also got my apartment...

...and a phone call from my future boss telling me to start work earlier. Oh well. At least I can use the cash flow.
*Recommendations: Watch "The Descent" with friends that can't stand freaky movies - It's messed up. Definitely watch "Little Miss Sunshine"

No comments: